Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

 


Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

My Rating ★★★★★

Goodreads: 3.96/5

Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction

Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022. The finale to a moving trilogy. 

 

Synopsis

Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there.
Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make.

Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey.

But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.

 

My Review

I was gifted this book for Christmas and having read, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and The Love Song of Miss Queenie Henessy I was excited to get started on Maureen’s journey.

At first as I started reading all I could see was a difficult, angry, rude women and quite frankly I did not like her. She was the total opposite to Harold and I did wonder if she would complete her journey. As the book progressed, I softened to Maureen, as her loss and unhappiness were exposed and I found myself hoping that she finds a way to get some closure and manages to find herself - I believe she did.  

This book although short was packed full with emotion, from grief and guilt and all the suffering that can come from it to friendship and love. It certainly highlighted for me, that we should not judge a book by its cover as we don’t know what that person is going through on the inside.

 

If you have stumbled across Maureen Fry and think mmm I fancy a read, don’t bother until you have read the first two. I do not think you would have a clue what was going on if you read it as a stand alone novel but as part of the Trilogy I works perfectly.

I found it a very enjoyable but moving read, thank you Rachel Joyce for taking us on Maureen’s Journey – I did not even realise that I needed this book!  

 

.

Comments

Popular Posts