Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

  Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce My Rating ★★★★★ Goodreads: 3.96/5 Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022.  The finale to a moving trilogy.     Synopsis Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there. Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make. Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey. But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.   My Review I was gifted this book for Christmas and having

Book Review - Us Three By Ruth Jones


My rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads 4.16/5
Genre: Modern and Contemporary Fiction > Romance

Ruth Jones is probably best known for Gavin and Stacey, which she co-wrote with James Corden and in which she played Nessa Jenkins. Her debut novel Never Greener was chosen as WHSmith Fiction Book of the Year 2018, was a Zoe Ball Book Club pick, and was a Sunday Times best seller. Us Three is Ruth’s second novel.

Its Out today and available in Hardback, Paperback,  Audio book and kindle.

Synopsis


Meet Lana, Judith and Catrin. Best friends since primary school when they swore an oath on a Curly Wurly wrapper that they would always be there for each other, come what may. 

After the trip of a lifetime, the three girls are closer than ever. But an unexpected turn of events shakes the foundation of their friendship to its core, leaving their future in doubt – there’s simply too much to forgive, let alone forget. An innocent childhood promise they once made now seems impossible to keep . . .

My Review


I came across Ruth’s book Us Three when browsing netgalley and was certainly intrigued to read something written by the co-writer of Gavin and Stacey, when I was accepted, I have to say, I was a little nervous. Having never read anything by Ruth Jones before and having enjoyed Gavin and Stacey so much, was this book going to stand up to my expectations? 

Well I absolutely loved it.
I can't wait to get my hands on her previous book Never Greener

I was worried when I first started reading that it was going to be one of those difficult, jump between characters viewpoints type of books......I was so wrong. Yes, each chapter is from one of the characters perspectives, but it flows wonderfully, right from the word go you understand how each character feels, you get drawn in to their friendship and fall in love with their lives. 
It's full of friendship, love, humour, tragedy, and loss that just constantly keeps you wanting more. 
It's a very easy read, a fulfilling book that I could not put down. When the book ended, I felt a sense of loss, I enjoyed it so much and had grown fond of all the characters, I just did not want it to end. 
Thank you netgalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for giving me the opportunity to read and review Us Three by Ruth Jones. 

Ruth Jones is definitely an author I will be keeping an eye out for in the future.


Comments

Popular Posts