Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

  Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce My Rating ★★★★★ Goodreads: 3.96/5 Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022.  The finale to a moving trilogy.     Synopsis Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there. Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make. Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey. But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.   My Review I was gifted this book for Christmas and having

Book Review - The Gin O'Clock Club by Rosie Blake

                                                  


My rating: ★★★★☆
Goodreads: 4.08/5
Genre: Romantic Fiction > Modern & contemporary fiction

I was given the opportunity to read this book as a pre release back in March 2020 in return for my honest review.
I believe that the audio book is free at the moment if you sign up to the audio trial with Amazon (maybe for a limited time only)

Synopsis


Bring the sparkle and fizz back into your life with the help of The Gin O'Clock Club

Lottie is always in a hurry, rushing through her days ticking tasks off her to-do lists. Teddy is worried about his granddaughter - and he knows that his late wife, Lily, would have known exactly what to say to make things better. Now that Lily has gone, it's up to Teddy to talk some sense into Lottie.

With the help of Arjun, Geoffrey and Howard, the elderly reprobates who make up his Gin O'Clock Club, Teddy makes a plan to help Lottie find her way back to the things that really matter - family, friendship and love. But as Lottie balances a high-powered job with her reluctant attendance at whist drives, ballroom dances and bingo, Teddy wonders if she's really ready to open up her heart to the possibility of true happiness...

My Review

I have to say I was attracted to this book purely by its title, The Gin O’Clock Club, I’m quite partial to a G & T so it instantly caught my eye. I had never come across Rosie Blake before but it certainly sounded like a book I would enjoy. 

The Gin O'Clock Club is a real, feel good heart warming read. It transported you into Lottie's turbulent life, letting you feel all the emotions she was going through. You felt the love and warmth of her friends and family to the hate and guilt she was trudging through. This book makes you reflect on your own life, family and friends. I fell in love with all the characters and felt drawn into their lives right from the word go. 

I only gave it four stars as near the beginning, I felt like the descriptions and scene setting was a bit repetitive but, once it got going this improved and I was hooked.

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading other titles from this author. 

Thank you Little, Brown Book Group UK and netgalley for allowing me to read and review this wonderful book.


Comments

Popular Posts