Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

  Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce My Rating ★★★★★ Goodreads: 3.96/5 Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022.  The finale to a moving trilogy.     Synopsis Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there. Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make. Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey. But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.   My Review I was gifted this book for Christmas and having

Book Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz






By Heather Morris

My rating: ★★★★☆
Goodreads: 4.26/5
Genre: Historical fiction, Biographical fiction

This book has become an international bestseller, was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award for Historical fiction and for Debut Author (2018) In 2019 got the Audie Award for fiction and in 2018 was listed in Richard and Judy book club 


Synopsis

The Tattooist of Auschwitz is based on the true story of Lale and Gita Sokolov, two Slovakian Jews who survived Auschwitz. In 1942 Lale was given the job of tattooing the prisoners marked for survival. Scratching numbers into his fellow victims' arms in indelible ink to create what would become one of the most potent symbols of the Holocaust.  

 Waiting in line to be tattooed, terrified and shaking, was a young girl. For Lale - a dandy, a jack-the-lad, a bit of a chancer  it was love at first sight, and he was determined not only to survive himself but to ensure that Gita did, too. 


My Review

 
The tattooist of Auschwitz is a mixture of historical and biographical fiction with a love story intertwined throughout the horrific events that unfold.
It is a rather moving, compelling story that is packed with selflessness, hope and romance but, contrasted with death and heart wrenching cruelty of a time and place that should never be forgotten.

As I turned the pages and the lives of these people played out, I to was drawn into their story, I wanted there to be a happy ever after and was amazed that such love and friendship could be found in such a brutal place.
Towards the end, once both Lale and Gita were free from the concentration camp, I did find that the attention to detail slipped and it felt a little rushed. I personally would of liked a little more detail of their lives, as having just lived through the worst with them I wanted to live through the better times to. I am also left wondering what happened to Jakub and Cilka and if they survived.

The tattooist of Auschwitz wasn't an easy book to read because of its harrowing content but, it was immensely rewarding. The harsh reality was uplifted by the strength and survival that was shown by the characters, and I guess that is how they felt, the only way they could have faith that they would survive. 
 
This has been the hardest review I have written yet. 
This book has left me with such mixed emotions. It was a book that I struggled to put down as I needed to no what happened next but when you did it remained with you, at the back of your mind.
In fact I think it will be with me for a very long time.


Comments

Popular Posts