Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

  Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce My Rating ★★★★★ Goodreads: 3.96/5 Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022.  The finale to a moving trilogy.     Synopsis Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there. Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make. Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey. But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.   My Review I was gifted this book for Christmas and having

Book Review - Flying by the Seat of my Knickers by Eliza Watson






My Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads: 3.67/5
Genre: Modern and Contemporary Fiction

Flying By The Seat Of My Knickers is the first book of six in the series The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw. 
Its available as an ebook or in paperback 


Synopsis


Why run from your troubles when you can fly instead?

When Caity Shaw is fired from her first job that doesn’t require an elf uniform, her older sister, Rachel, an event planner, hires her to work a meeting in Dublin. Caity jumps at the opportunity to travel abroad and escape her pathetic life. However, even four thousand miles from home, there’s no avoiding debt collectors, an overbearing mother, and haunting memories of a controlling ex.

While in Dublin, Caity suffers a series of humiliating mishaps, causing her to lose even more faith in herself. Caity struggles to earn Rachel’s respect — and to keep Declan, her hot Irish coworker, at arm’s length. Declan repeatedly saves Caity’s butt and helps boost her self-confidence, making it difficult to keep her distance from the charming womanizer. When Declan helps her research her Irish grandmother, Caity discovers the mysterious past of the courageous woman she barely knew might hold the answers to her future.


My Review


I had never read any Eliza Watson and found this book purely on the title, which leapt out at me and said you have to read me. I am attracted to books in several ways, and this definitely ticked the box on the title front.

At the start of this book I found the story-line a little slow but, once Caity's character had started to become established, the character become lovable and seemed to reel me.  
It was a lighthearted easy read which I thoroughly enjoyed. Its quirky main character keeps you wanting to read more to find out what was going to happen to her next. 
Although it's very lighthearted the author does a wonderful job of covering some serious subjects of abuse and low self esteem in a relatable, sensitive and at times humorous way.
The more I read of this book the more I wanted to read, it became a book I struggled to put down.

When I was three quarters of the way through I started to wonder how this story was going to wrap up without leaving to many unanswered questions and was worried I was going to be disappointed with the ending,.....as I read the last page, thinking no this can't be it, I see an advert for the second book in the series. After a quick search, I have found there are in fact six books in the series. Now I know there is more to come I'm not so worried about the ending. I'm So looking forward to following Caity on her next journey up the seine without a paddle and pleased that this isn't the end of her story. 



Books in the Series

The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw. 

Flying by the Seat of my Knickers



My Christmas Goose Is Almost Cooked










Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I've gone and bought the next in the series. Fingers crossed it will be just as good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts