Skip to main content

Featured

Book Review - Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce

  Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North By Rachel Joyce My Rating ★★★★★ Goodreads: 3.96/5 Genre: Women’s Literary Fiction Maureen Fry and The Angel of The North was first published in 2022.  The finale to a moving trilogy.     Synopsis Ten years ago, Harold Fry set off on his epic journey on foot to save a friend. But the story doesn't end there. Now his wife, Maureen, has her own pilgrimage to make. Maureen Fry has settled into the quiet life she now shares with her husband Harold after his iconic walk across England. Now, ten years later, an unexpected message from the North disturbs her equilibrium again, and this time it is Maureen's turn to make her own journey. But Maureen is not like Harold. She struggles to bond with strangers, and the landscape she crosses has changed radically. She has little sense of what she'll find at the end of the road. All she knows is that she must get there.   My Review I was gifted this book for Christmas and having

World Book Day 2021 Book Review - Calm Down Boris by Sam Lloyd

 

World Book Day 2021.

As many may have noticed I have not been as active on my blog over the last few months, this partly being down to home-schooling. Home-schooling seems to have taken over my kitchen table and our daily lives! So, I thought seeing as the only books I seem to have read recently have been children’s books and the fact we are celebrating World Book Day from home (Home schooling a five-year-old who is dressed up and just wants to play rather than work is quite the challenge.) I thought I would join in and write a review of one of my daughter’s favourites, and I have to admit one of my favourites to.

 


Calm Down Boris by Sam Lloyd

 

Synopsis

Meet Boris - he's a very loving little monster! Orange, hairy and over-enthusiastic, Boris means well, but always ends up getting carried away and spoiling things. In "Calm Down, Boris!", the reader is asked to help Boris brush his hair ready for his trip to the park - and gets smothered in grateful kisses. The same happens when we feed him, and when he gets to the park none of the other little monsters want to play with him because he's so loud and boisterous. But when a big scary dog jumps over the fence, Boris saves the day by scaring him away with his big, friendly kisses!

 

My Review

I always believe reading with children should be fun and engaging and not made to feel like a chore, if you read what they enjoy, you get them loving to read and coming back time and again for more. Calm down Boris certainly ticks all the boxes in our house.

Its fun and engaging and when ever it is read (which is over and over) it always has my daughter giggling away and leaves us adults with a smile on our faces. It’s a book that can be read over and over and you never tire of it because of the reaction it gets every time.

I have read reviews that says its not a bedtime book and completely understand why people say this. For younger children it may make them to excitable but for my five-year-old she often loves it as a bedtime story and is quite happy to settle down after Boris kisses!

The age range for this book is listed as baby to five years old but I believe, it will be a firm favourite in our house for a good few more years yet.


Below is a link to amazon, where I have come across many more books by the author of Calm Down Boris.


Sam Lloyd Children's Books

Comments

Popular Posts